Name = Martin Hall
Role = QA Manager - Cisco Cloud Based Web Security
Dept = SGG - Security & Government Group
Company = Cisco Systems
Senior Management Experience
Largest Team Size of Direct Reports: 18 (Local Government)
1. QA Manager – Web Filtering and Cloud security for worlds largest security as a service provider around 4000,000,000 requests a day (4 billion)
2. System Test Manager – (Thomson Directories - Search provider handling over 1640,000,000 search queries a month – Just over 1.6 billion) Also main provider of all Google Maps Local Search data.
3. Test Manager (One of the OmniCom Group subsidiaries)
4. Director/CEO of HB-Helper (Start-Up specialising in Government Grant funded Software Contracts – (Company Sold in 2007 )
5. Chief Consultant , Anite Group PLC – Local Government Division
6. Lead Tester, Fujitsu ICL – Local Government Division
7. Systems & Control Team Manager – Slough Borough Council – Local Government.
Technical Prowess in Testing and Information Security Specialising in Web- Application Security-(WebAppSec)
- Mentioned in Google Hacking for Penetration Testers by Johnny Long (Thanked as one of the Google Masters)
- Creation of a full Bug Tracking and analysis suite (metrics etc.) from scratch using SharePoint.
- Load and Stress Testing
- Performance Testing
- Knowledge of 7 differing programming languages.
- Credited with being the first person to find a bug on the Playstation 3 that exposed a serious security risk.
- Data Migration and Data warehousing testing.
- Member of Owasp London Chapter
- Creation of bespoke testing applications to find Cross Site Scripting and SQL Injection Bugs in Web Applications
- NLP Master Practitioner - Fully accredited Clinical Hypnotherapist (Kings College, University of London) – Social Engineering.
I was born in South London, UK in 1974, My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 back in the early 80′s this tought me how to program and from there I soon learnt that I could edit the programs I brought from shops and change the source code to make the program behave how I wanted it and not how the designer had originally envisaged.
This lead me to always attempt to tweak or amend the program or application I was working on and from there came my love of both testing and also security.
The point of the site is to have a place to jot down my thoughts on the days events at work and in life generally.
As the main loves in my life (besides my wife and family) are testing and security. the site will mostly focus on those aspects.
I will try and look at process improvement and existing testing methodologies looking at how we can become more productive in our workplaces.
Staffing issues will also be covered as depending on your role or management style either a small amount or a large amount of daily work load can be taken up with staffing issues.
Finally security, I will be covering a load of security issues mainly web based, however I will touch on hardware and also personal security (Human Intelligence – HUMINT)
You may even be reading this because I’ve sent you an email about a security issue I’ve found on your site.
This brings me onto the Today’s News section of the site. It is my belief that about +90% of all websites contain security issues that put the users of that website at risk. I will take a story from one of the main news outlets on a given day and look at a website connected or linked to from the story.
I will give the site a quick test (rules state it has to be no more than hour) and post my results.
If there are no posts on the site in the “Today’s News” section for a while it will most likely mean that either the news item is not appropriate e.g. a tragedy or disaster or that I am waiting for the site admin to have the issue fixed.
click on @thetestmanager.com to get my email.
or you can contact me via Twitter = The Test Manager on Twittter